A Message from Consumer Action

Consumer Action's MoneyWi$e educational materials have moved to our Managing Money Project website. Here you may view, download and order bulk copies of the MoneyWi$e materials. Please make a note of the Managing Money Project address— www.managing-money.org —and add it to your address book.

Here’s what deposit insurance covers

Source: Michelle Singletary, Washington Post (Paid Registration)

If you are unsure whether your money is federally insured, use the FDIC’s tool, the Electronic Deposit Insurance Estimator. It helps consumers figure out on a per-bank basis how much of their money, if any, exceeds coverage limits.

Insurance works by ownership categories, and each is insured separately for up to $250,000. Here are the four most common categories: individual, joint, retirement and trust. Here’s an example of how the coverage would work for a married couple:

Husband has upward of $250,000 in individual accounts.

Wife has upward of $250,000 in individual accounts.

Husband and wife have upward of $500,000 in joint accounts.

Read Full Article: Here’s what deposit insurance covers


Quick Menu

Support Consumer Action

Support Consumer

Join Our Email List

Optional Member Code
Facebook FTwitter T

MoneyWise Modules

Managing Money Topics

Help Desk